It’s extremely important, before you start a sanctuary, to make sure you are on properly zoned land, especially when it comes to farmed animals.

The zoning classification you need to be on is usually called “agricultural”. It’s important to check your city’s zoning bylaw. There can be multiple different classifications or names of zones. Even in some rural residential zones they allow agriculture, but then you have to make sure to read the fine print as there can be possible restrictions. As example, that they don’t allow pigs.

Something to be aware of is if your land is on something like the Agriculture Land Reserve, there might be restrictions or conditions attached to operating on this type of land.

Other considerations also important to take into account are things like earthquake zones, fire zone, flood zones etc. If you already have the property and it falls within those zones, you will need to make sure to have evacuation plans in place for all your residents.


The Open Sanctuary Project | Property And Location Can’t Be Prioritized Enough

The Open Sanctuary Project | Choosing The Right Site For Your Animal Sanctuary

The Open Sanctuary Project | Understanding Your Animal Sanctuary’s Zoning Rights & Restrictions

The P.E.A.C.E. Speaker Series | The Open Sanctuary Project “So You Want To Start A Sanctuary?” | Property Considerations (around the 24min mark)

The Open Sanctuary Project | Proximity To Others | Fostering Positive Relationships Between Animal Sanctuaries

DISCLAIMER | P.E.A.C.E. has provided this roadmap as a service to the public and farm sanctuaries. Some of the information in this website has been provided by external sources. P.E.A.C.E. is not responsible for the accuracy, reliability or currency of the information provided by external sources. Users should please consult directly with the external source of the information.